Interview with Dawn Okoro
.png)
When was your starting point as an artist?
I have been creative for as long as I can remember. But growing up, I didn't really know what it meant or looked like to be a professional artist. I started pursuing art as a career in 2005. Two non-art related college degrees later, I am still coming into myself as an artist and defining what that means for me.
How did you find your own artistic lane and how have you grown and evolved?
I started off simply painting based on instinct, what I liked, and what I was drawn to. In the beginning I was very naive because I didn't go the traditional route.
Then I saw that artists who I admired and who were recognized followed a path that was different than mine. I spent sometime frustrated trying to mold myself into what I thought was expected. What I have discovered is that I need to create my own lane and do projects that simply make me happy.
If recognition is meant to be, it will flow organically.
What is the most important factor to you when working on a project?
The most important factor when working on a project is that the work is something that I enjoy and can stand behind.
How do you pick your subjects?
I am inspired by fashion photography. I try to find models who fit the look of my concept. Some of the models are friends and others are people that I recruit online.
How has been your exhibition experience so far? and what has been the response and feedback?
I would like to exhibit more. I took a little break in recent years to focus on other areas of life. I am creating more artworks and will be ready to exhibit again soon.
The feedback at my shows has been mostly positive. I love to see a people’s reactions when they see my work in person. I am especially excited when people see my work and “get it.”
What do you try to communicate through your art?
I try to capture a moment in time through my aesthetic. I mentioned earlier that I am influenced by fashion, but I am also inspired by popular culture. For example, the project I am working on now is about female music video models and what it means to participate in that culture.
Your works are very colorful. Besides the beauty and creativity surrounding color, what do you think is the essence of color?
The essence of color is emotion. Many of my works use a lot of negative space and a solid color background. I choose the background color based on the person in the painting and my gut feeling.
What is your perfect working mode like?
The perfect working mode to me is to have good music on and plenty of time to work uninterrupted.
In your opinion how will you define creativity?
Creativity means seeing outside the box. It means bringing my individual aesthetic to a project.
What else are you passionate about besides art?
I am passionate about learning and enjoying life.
Where is your favorite spot in the city you live in?
I currently live in Austin, Texas. My favorite spot is my home studio. Otherwise, I like Austin’s nature trails and creeks.
What do you like most about what you do?
What I like most about what I do is the fact that my art can move and inspire people.



Connect with Dawn Okoro via:
